Thursday, September 6, 2012

INDIVIDUAL ICED CAKES--REDUX

An air of Preparation in the house---of just-washed china and glass all covered with a big flipped-on tablecloth, and that getting-down-to-the-wire sense of will there be enough time and where did I store the trifle bowl?

No time to write nor remain---much to do, so I'm doing a little re-run of one of my favorite things:  Individual Iced Cakes, which are the dessert I most wanted for this birthday.    And they're PINK,   so I'm linking them to Beverly's Pink Saturday.     Just saying the words is special: 



 
 
Oh, the anticipation as the tiny smitch of Scotch tape was slit from its small closing, the crackle of the fluted paper as the lid was lifted from the bakery box, unmistakable waft of the vanilla-something scent of faintly-cooked sugar fondant---that’s an unforgettable little ritual, bespeaking a really fancy occasion. I can almost feel the crackly folds of a scratchy party-dress---the only proper attire to befit such a regal dessert.

The bakery in the big-town-two-over was a wonderland of lovely scents and fairy-colors---the windowfull of wedding cakes with their swoops of pink swaggings and the perfectly-formed pale roses grew stiff and forlorn in that Delta sun, but the allure and the awe never ceased. And to call and order up “Three dozen individual iced cakes,”---well, that was the rallying-cry for nothing less than the very best tablecloth, the never-used smallest forks from the silverware chest, and the borrow of Aunt Ninna's four-piece epergne.

Just calling in the order was a thrill---I remember my First Time, giving the directions to the clerk for several dozen, the exact pink of the rosebuds atop, and a pickup-time down to the quarter-hour. I could just smell them over the phone.

Other shopping was got out of the way early, and the import of pulling into that parking spot in front of Stowe’s was akin to arriving on the red carpet. The width of the box itself was impressive, with just a little sag to the center from the weight of cake and fondant. Three books-brought-from-home aligned in the far-back dip of the backseat to balance the contents, and super-careful driving so as to need no quick braking, we made our way home. A birthday cake from there was a must, but these little jewelbox creations---they were the next-best-fairythings to those immense sugar Easter eggs with the peekhole to tiny tableaux which I coveted with every longing of a girly-girl’s heart.

The party itself---a shower, an afternoon tea, a visit from the Exalted Grand Matron to the far-flung flock---that was an Occasion. The silver-polishing, the punchcup-borrowing, the napkin-pressing---having been delegated those make-work tasks for several years, I think I could have taken a post at Windsor when I was twelve.

It was a special time that no other kind of gathering promised---you wore those nylon stiffnesses, those white gloves, the one-pink-flower straw hat, and it was lovely.

Chicken salad was de rigueur, either in tiny crustless sandwiches or puff shells. A silver chafing dish of Chicken a la King with a silver basket of teensy thumb-pressed piecrust patty-shells alongside, some daintily-cut cucumber somethings with the bread pillow-stitched around the outsides, some toasted pecans, a slender silver compote of Richardson’s Butter Mints for most occasions, or made-to-match from the bakery for REALLY SPECIAL, and one of the favored punches of the day in the big frosty bowl—those were expected and arranged with the pomp and solemnity of setting out the Lord’s Supper set on Fourth Sunday morning.

The silver cakestand or wide repousse' tray, doilied within an inch of its life, with the small rustly-papered dainty cakes set just so in precise ranks, as the newspaper reported time and time again, “completed the table appointments.”    I don’t know precisely what the allure of those things was---the small size, the how-did-they-do-that smooth shining fondant, the coveted pink frosting rosebud that tasted better than any candy in the Kingdom, the melty flavor of a vanilla fondant and tender white cake contrasted to the hearty yellow layers and homemade frostings of our own kitchen---there was just something about the magic of those small decorated rectangles that no macaron from Laduree’ nor even standing in the storybook realms of Pierre Herme’ could outshine in enchantment.

I didn't want to eat 'em. I didn't want anybody to eat 'em. It was enough that they just BE. They went beyond the ideal of cake and into sweet jewelry. I just wanted them to languish there in that box, available for an open-and-sigh, and didn't care that they would shrink into tiny patterns of themselves, like yellowed old ivory dominoes. They could have stayed forever, like Miss Havisham's wedding cake.

And it was years before they began to be called petits fours, and hostesses were quick to mention the appearance of Peddy-Fours on their party table. Even the French appellation, re-constructed into local dialect, did not do them justice. The sheer rarity of such august occasions as to warrant such frivolous fare, when you could make up a whole batch of cupcakes yourself---the luxury of the thing was a great part of the charm.

Those small bits of cake and frosting were so special that they defined the import of an occasion, like Black Tie on an invitation conjures élan. And they still do, in my memory. Right now, just thinking of them, or seeing a tray in a picture---I can just smell that enticing scent and feel that scratchy dress.

12 comments:

  1. Hello Rachel:
    And, how we can detect the sweet vanilla scent from here, the scratchy dress and the cake stand 'doilied to an inch of its life' and we love it all. You have captured this brilliantly.

    So seldom these days does one encounter the 'grand occasion', the memorable moment which will stay long in the mind after the event is over. Oh how we love the dressing up, the feeling of being too excited to eat and the sheer wonder of a table so beautifully laid and heaving with delectable delights. Do you have two spare chairs at the table.....we promise to be sufficiently gussied up to impress?!!!!!Please, pretty please...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like the name "individual iced cakes" much better than "petit fours"! And I love these little goodies. I remember my grandmother serving them at very special occasions. Loved your descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know...I just finished a writing exercise, which I do every now and then to keep growing my craft...and after reading your post, I'm going to go back and do it again. You've inspired me. You had me at the tiniest of detail with the slight sag in the cover of the box. Of course, by the end of your post, I was salivating and tasting that creamy frosting.
    I've also bookmarked this post so I can come back and steal your menu suggestions. I was born without a Martha Stewart gene and I'd love to have a "Welcome To Womanhood" party for the soon-to-be-18-year-old daughter of a friend of mine. Thanks Rachesl, and hugs for your inadvertent help. I'm sure I'll be asking for advice. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing, nothing, NOTHING to beat a real ladies luncheon. You evoke it beautifully, my dear! Enjoy your day - how I wish that I lived close enough to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, Rachel! the cakes are exquisite. I can picture the gorgeous elegance of the luncheon. Pink hat in tow ...
    Have a lovely weekend ~

    GIVEAWAY ends 9/9

    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so delightful! Visiting from Pink Saturday.

    PINK reminders is my entry.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Rachel, Your individual cakes are divine. The 'Tea Party' sounds like a grand affair. I can imagine an awesome celebration befitting the 'Queen" without a doubt. Your detailed descriptions are breath taking. I want to be there wishing you the very happiest of days.

    I really enjoyed your comment on my post as always. You are a perfect delight my dear friend. I mean it!!!

    Love you bunches,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, I just came back to tell you how sad I am for the rain and wetness everywhere. I know when you have the lovely 'Tea Party' it will be just as lovely as ever. More time to perfect your plans. Smile!

    I knew you meant 'white' Rachel. See how well we understand each other. HA! I laughed too and I am the biggest offender of not proof reading. I am always in a rush.

    I pray you dry out soon.

    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was craving something sweet when I sat down at my computer. Yours was the first blog I visited and was met by these luscious cakes. Then as I scold down the page I am met by one scrumptious food after another.

    Sorry, but my comment will have to wait a while you have made me so hungry I have to run to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Almost too pretty to eat!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  11. really perfect post with full explanation cake is looking beautiful.
    toronto airport taxi

    ReplyDelete