Sunday, April 5, 2015

AMANDA'S WEDDING CAKE RECIPE




AMANDA BRIDGER’S MOST-REQUESTED WEDDING CAKE
Oven 350.  Prepare 2 8” pans:  Lay a sheet of waxed paper a little bigger than width of pan on cutting board.  Set pan on paper and trace all the way around bottom of pan, close as you can get, with the tip of a paring knife.   Cut out pattern with scissors and drop into bottom of pan.

No greasing or flouring necessary; in the words of the nice lady who taught Amanda the trick:  “Run a knife around the edges and it can’t do nothing but fall out.”   Peel off paper and flip right-side up on rack to cool.

This 8” cake will serve twelve nicely---six if they’re your brothers, and hide it if you want a taste yourself.   This recipe is mighty tasty, like a buttery orange velvet cake, despite its weird ingredients.


1 BOX DUNCAN HINES BUTTER RECIPE GOLDEN CAKE MIX
¼ CUP DRY TANG DRINK MIX
1 STICK MELTED BUTTER
3 EGGS
½ CUP WATER OR ORANGE JUICE

Mix dry ingredients, then beat all with mixer for 4 minutes.  Divide between pans.


Bake 25-30 minutes; cool 10, then peel off paper and flip right-side up on rack to cool.   Flat-trim layers by sliding perfectly level serrated knife across top with a little sawing motion.   If layers rise above pan, you can do the leveling slice before taking them out.

Frosting:

1 stick softened butter or Crisco
1 box powdered sugar, sifted
2 or 3 t. Pet Milk
1 t. white vanilla
½ t. butter flavoring (NOT butter-nut).

Cream butter and add half of powdered sugar.   Beat until incorporated, then add other ingredients and whip 8 minutes, til like marshmallow.   You can do two recipes at once, with a heavy duty mixer such as Kitchen-Aid.

Amanda knows that this cake recipe makes two eight-inch layers, which exactly fill the pans when baked.  She follows the Wilton “how many cups of batter per size of pan” for all the tiered cakes---some will hold one, and some 12.   She measured out a whole making of batter once, a cup at a time, and wrote it all down, so it’s just a matter of multiplying.

She does NOT, however, follow their mingy measurements for cutting a cake. 


24 servings out of an eight-inch cake, indeed!   And 56 out of a 12”!  No Mama in five counties would be able to hold up her head if she served such tight-fisted little old portions.  Why, for such diddly-squat hospitality as that to pass muster, there would have to be a great big dessert bar with banana pudding in punchbowls, along with cobblers, pies, three chocolate fountains, and a Krispy Kreme truck arriving at midnight with the HOT NOW light on.

                   PAXTON PEOPLE BLOG

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Such tiny portions would be a disgrace to the bride's parents. Thanks for the recipe. Bring on the banana puddin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all very interesting to me. I use to decorated cakes when I was younger and really enjoyed doing it just like an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning my dear sweet friend, This recipe came at the perfect time. On May 2nd my sister is turning 70 and we are giving her a surprise birthday party. I, yes, little ole me,am baking the cake with this recipe. I used to love to bake cakes. I am motivated thanks to you. LOL And, I am all in for the extra desserts. Yum.

    I have lost 5 lbs. this week. It makes me so happy but the bad news is I had the darn old flu. I do not recommend it!!! I am hoping hubby does not catch the bug now. Today, I am feeling great.

    We are enjoying a pretty Spring and warm weather at last. I hope you are too.

    Thank you for your comments even when I am not reciprocating. You are, my dear friend, a blessing to me always. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Much love,
    Jeanne


    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds so good. I see we share many blog friends, Patsy @ The Smith's and L.D. @ Larry's Photo A Day. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the KK line! So have you actually tried this recipe – with the Tang and all? Because, you know me, I’m thinking about it. But butter ONLY in the frosting. I’ve had that Crisco frosting. Does that stuff EVER melt? Or just stay slicked to your tongue for days?

    ReplyDelete