Tuesday, November 10, 2009

NUMBER TWO NINETY-NINE


I've been trying to think of something to write for this next-to-last post, plus the #300 just has me bumfuzzled for a subject. Something special should be in order, a different approach, perhaps, or a great slurry of photographs to help tell the tale. I have no trouble writing like a bursting dam when I have a subject or a nudge---there's no stopping me and I just throw it right out there.

I started this just for ME, and all of you ARE my Lagniappe, my extras, my bonus---you lovely readers and commenters and the cities I see scrolling down the reader every day---I wonder who that is in Plano, and in Blackhawk---Ft. Worth---LaCrosse--Cleveland, and I hope they will return. I also wish they would chime in and say Hello, for a constant reader is any scribe's delight.

And today---EUREKA!! A peek at Janie's wonderful Fall-in-Mississippi pictures, with the rows and heads and bolls and acres of COTTON!! That felt like IT---the WHERE of me, the places and things of my raising; the snowy fluffs and the thorny toenails of the bolls took me right back to the fields outside our door. I could just see the acres stretching away into the surrounding woods, the poofs waving in the wind, and smell the dusty, drying plants as their demise makes way for the roaring beasts come to claim their prize.

THEN, our browser totally misbehaved itself---I could post no pictures, no images of any kind; the whole thing required hours of work by Chris, just to get back online, and then, all my bookmarks and all the lovely people and blogs which usually make a column down the right-hand side here, with their promises of stories and tales and pictures and all sorts of friendly, interesting things---they're somewhere off in the ether, as well, along with the counter which names off the cities as folks look in.

It feels lonely just looking at it, like a room in which you've heard laughter and good talk and friendly banter, sat on comfy furniture, felt the warmth of the hearth, basked in the light of candles and rosy lamps---and now it's empty---untenanted---stripped to the echoes, like one of Marty's sad, deserted churches with dusty pews and a dying piano left to pine.

Tomorrow will be another day---I have wonderful experts who can step up to this problem, give the system a stern talking-to, and repopulate my happy room with friends and color and light.
I just wish it hadn't happened TODAY, of all days, when I had been looking forward to the fun.

I do hope you'll bear with me; I hope you'll look in, and speak up, and be a part of this odd way of conversing; I've made lovely friends here, and count each one a special blessing. I also welcome Friends Unmet save for their city-names a scroll on the green screen as they glance in.

The cusp of another year is a new start, a change of season, and real reason to give thanks.
PLEASE COME BACK TOMORROW for the double-milestones---I hope it will be worthy.

5 comments:

  1. Browser hiccups are just no fun! Thanking YOU for your beautifully told stories, your unselfish offers of comfort and your kind words of encouragement. Warmth and friendship from Indianapolis, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been stopping in for a long time now, for so long in fact, I don't remember how I got here. I love your writing. Each post is like a tiny jewel, and gives me something funny or thoughtful to reflect on during the day. Thank you for sharing your writing with us!

    Plano, Texas is my married home. I'm originally a Yankee, I trust you won't hold that against me. I'm looking forward to post #300 with great anticipation! Blessings, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWWW, PLANO!!! I see you every day, and hope every time that you'll speak up. It's lovely to meet you, at last. I'm now a Hoosier, of sorts, so we are who we are, and both places have made us richer for it.

    And I hope that you'll continue to come by and chime in anytime!!!

    And Indy---faithful friend---Thank YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,
    Thank You for you kind words today.
    My computer is trying to wig out on me to. Maybe Santa will bring a new one, I sent him a long letter:)
    Another hiccup (Thank you Indy) happened when, I tried to reply to some one for 20 minutes today, to leave them a message and their verification would never work. I finally walked away from my computer.
    Your writings are poetic and mesmerize me. You truly have a blessed gift.
    Congrats on touching so many people by using your talent 299 times!
    ~♥
    West Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lovely, Rachel, and only you could express the frustrations of experiencing a computer malfunction so beautifully --

    "It feels lonely just looking at it, like a room in which you've heard laughter and good talk and friendly banter, sat on comfy furniture, felt the warmth of the hearth, basked in the light of candles and rosy lamps---and now it's empty, untenanted and stripped to the echoes, like one of Marty's sad, deserted churches with dusty pews and a dying piano left to pine."

    I will be back in a little while for your 300th. I know it is going to be memorable.

    ReplyDelete