Thursday, February 11, 2016

FLAT STANLEY AKA HONEY



Our niece Honey sent us her “Flat Traveler” last week---the newer version of Flat Stanley, made by the sender in her own self-portrait.

We were asked to make her clothing “to fit our climate and activities,” and so Sweetpea and her Mama and I sat down on Saturday and cooked her up a tee-ninecy wardrobe to befit some of the places we wanted to take her, as well as a few outfits just to represent things in our state. 

She wore her little parka to make a snowman in our backyard.


As well as to bundle up warm for the FREEZING winds of downtown on the circle for a tour of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument:








Our wonderful Symphony Hall (wish it had been evening, for it’s splendiferous with all the marquee lights).
 


See how cold it was?---the buffalo fountain-spouts are frozen.  We were just trying to keep our noses from freezing in that FOUR degrees, and our little guest from flapping in the wind---it was Kick-Ice COLD, folks!
 


  
We went on a short tour out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with Honey in her little race outfit.






With some of the 265,000 permanent seats in the distance.   Another 165,000 are set up in the infield on Race Day---can you IMAGINE being in the middle of 400,000 yelling, cheering fans as those race-cars roar around the track?
 



And some of her little outfits for the week in Indy.   Amazing what you can do with imagination, a little Google, a Box of 96 Crayolas, and a pair of manicure scissors.  
 







This last one was because we all wore our orange T-shirts on Sunday.  And because PEYTON.

 





Flat Honey is in the mail with her new wardrobe (and minus Stanley’s grilled cheese and toothbrush tube of milk) headed back home to show her second grade all the sights.  

9 comments:

  1. What a fun project! How nice you were able to take Honey out for a tour in the extreme cold temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great niece asked her parents and her aunts and uncles to do this and they had great fun with it ....maybe too much fun with it!! LOL!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving such kind comments!! I am playing catch up on my visits!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the wonderful place you took flat Honey. Her outfits were so cute too. I bet there won't be many that have gone to the 500 track. Blessings to you and all your family, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely delightful and charming, and so very imaginative! Those box of Crayolas were a good friend to me while growing up. I remember being taken to a shopping mall in Michigan (on my very first visit to The States) and my mother let me pick out an souvenir. Well, I went straight for the biggest box of crayons I'd ever seen in my life. Everything was "bigger" in America as compared to England.

    I enjoyed the tour with your flat Honey. Adore the sailors and soldiers' monument - beautiful!

    Thanks for cheering up my day with your fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest story! My daughter created Flat Stanley's with her class while student teaching and the children just loved it. It is so exciting when the paper dolls report back with their adventures. Your flat Honey has so much to share- what a special experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful visit! Sorry Honey could not stay long enough to visit the Childrens' Museum! She would have loved it from top to bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did this with my boys years ago. They are so fun to take traveling around to different places, and look back on one day. :) I hope you're doing well. Happy Valentine's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That brought back some fun memories...our children had flat stanleys back in the old days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish some little one would send us a Flat Stanley. We'd have so much fun! Great job, y'all!

    ReplyDelete