Friday, January 5, 2024

THINGS I MISS




Reminiscing this sunny morning on the bright beginning of a shiny NEW YEAR.  Things I miss: 


Grady Nutt---Miss Minnie Pearl---Walter Cronkite---Gladys Taber---church bells--- Christopher Reeve---Beah Richards---chenille spreads---Pam & Jerry North---the scent of the earth at First Turning---orange popsicles---Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific---Kraft Theater---going caroling---Richard Boone---All-Day Singin's and Dinner on the Grounds---screen doors with springs---Andy Williams---letters in the mailbox---Martha Rae---mud pies---snow cream---caftans ---the scent of burning leaves---Rob and Laura---vanity skirts---John Ritter---Plum Nuts ice cream--- throwing bread to the bears---hayrides---Vacation Bible School---watermelon cuttings---black telephones---TAXI---those prickly Christmas corsages with artificial greenery and pinecones---Gilmore Girls---Andy Sipowicz---pink Desert Flower lotion---individual iced cakes at parties---crew cuts---wooden ironing boards---real clothespins---Alfred Hitchcock Presents---Mr. Rogers---the scent of Coppertone---Imogene Coca---Fred Waring---Alice at Tea in My Cup---jerky, screechy black-and-white Julia Child on Saturday afternoon---Miss Frances and Ding Dong School---Twilight Zone---mercury thermometers---the REAL Monday-Night lineup which included Designing Women and Hearts Afire, and culminated in Northern Exposure.

Reaching into a cooler or a Coke-box---the kind with lift-up lid and the vague scent of salty metal, with the arctic water and floating ice surrounding the little glass bottles of Coke.

The old pump-organ which occupied one whole wall of my Mammaw’s “middle room,” with its furbelows and fancy carvings, the old rough keys yellowed as horses’ teeth, and the decades of layers of hanging hats, pincushions, ribbon, bias tape, seam binding, tape measures, Cardui calendars, tussy-mussies, hatpins and dogtags giving it the look of a melted closet. I know I dusted the thing---I REMEMBER dusting it---I just can’t think HOW. I’d sit on the floor, put both feet onto the pedals, and pump madly for a moment, then hop up onto the stool, and quickly one-finger through “Ju-ust As I . . .” before the air supply wheezed silent.

Our little corner “caffay” with the floor of inch-square black-and-white tiles, where the eight turquoise boomerang-formica booths and six counter-stools served thousands of those sublime mustard/pickle/onion crinkle-paper hamburgers over the years, and a little steel sherbet-cup of vanilla ice cream with a string of Hershey’s syrup was the most elegant dessert on Earth.

And speaking of ice cream---there’s nothing to compare with a hot Sunday afternoon out under the mimosas, cranking up a freezer or two of banana ice cream---Eagle Brand, whole milk and a big hand of smooshed bananas---to serve soft and rich into wide soup bowls. I can feel the dust-heat and hear the scrape of those spoons.

Net or organdy or dotted Swiss skirts on kidney-shaped vanities. I coveted one of those with my whole heart; the trendy teen across the street had one, with a chair to match---it looked as if our town seamstress had made a housecall to stitch Spring formals onto both pieces of furniture.

The ladies-in-black at the really elegant clothing stores in the larger towns. I imagined they had a training school for these take-no-prisoners, brusque women, like some sort of college with courses in “No-nonsense” and “Abrupt.” They all wore their glasses on chains around their necks, had crisply-permanented or upswept hair, and wore thick-heeled old-lady laceup shoes; every look at you seemed delivered through a lorgnette. Thank goodness I was only there to hold Mother’s purse.

Sample sizes. The tiny lipsticks, usually white plastic, about as big as a good squeeze of toothpaste, with a teensy real cover and a tiny cylinder of real lipstick---the ends usually flat on two sides, like a roof on an elf-house. The little pots and jars of real cold cream and moisturizer and astringent, and wee stoppered drams of cologne---the real stuff, not those magazine tear-outs or those nose-clogging “cards” foisted out by brittle women in Nordstrom and van Maur.

Dishes in products---many a little home kitchen was furnished with one-at-a-time wheat-pattern dishes from boxes of Duz, and I once had quite a nice collection of pale blue glassware---goblets to juices, extracted carefully and excitedly each week from boxes of Rinso, the powder as blue as the glass. Gas stations had dish-a-week giveaways, too, with a fill-up.

Cartoons and newsreels and the Saturday serial at movies. This new practice of  filling up the gaps before and between shows with thunderous car and Coke ads, and the seat-shaking noise of “trailers” for twenty minutes just isn’t the same, somehow.

Waitresses in uniforms, especially pink ones---nylon a bonus. Extra points for Dr. Scholl’s shoes and a pencil through the perm.

The scent of old-time grocery stores, with hints of spice and onion skins and the arid crisp dustiness of dried beans, the pungent hit of flyspray, the exotic float of musk from the big hanging stalk of bananas, and the sweet vanilla/licorice/chocolate mingle of the candy case. All enhanced, of course, by a flappy screen door with a green-painted metal “Nehi” or “Grapette” guard-strip just at hand height. Bell optional, but gratifying.

It seems I must have had a word-quota to use up, and I’ve just flung them all out amongst you on this last day of the year.

They come with warmest thanks for dropping in, passing by, speaking out, or in any other way participating in this odd and wonderful possibility called the Internet.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my your reminiscing is very similar to mine. Where have dotted swiss and seer sucker gone? I miss Herbal Essence shampoo. I loved reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you did, Shae! It's lovely to reminisce with a kindred spirit, and I hope you'll drop in again for more of our Memory Musings. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear R,

      What better way to spend a January day than reading this post to travel back in time, reflecting and dwelling in the memories of the past. 

      It is like opening a long-forgotten letter that came with so many treasures. 
      Upon opening its envelope, all the sepia photographs that were tucked inside, suddenly fell out from the envelope. I'm glad that I came to share this discovery with you. I think that it is a great way of jotting down your memories at the beginning of the new year and what a lovely long list of jottings like a beautiful garland you made.

      Many years ago, I remember reading a book by the New York School of poets called Joe Brainard (1942–1994). 
      He wrote a short book called "I Remember" which is now regarded as a cult classic. Every sentence in the book starts with "I remember...".

      I must admit that some of his recollections definitely struck a chord with me. 
      But I found others declarative sentences in the book quite crude (although one can argue that the truth without the embellishment be quite brutal). 

      But my dear, there is nothing crude about your list as it conveys the true heart's sentiments.

      Gladys Taber - While I have not read all her books, the ones that I have read became my favourites. Her observations of the ordinary are quite remarkable. She rarely wrote about the significant achievements in her writing career. She once wrote in her journal that most writers do not like talking about their books while they are writing them. At any rate, most of the significant moments of one's life are insignificant to other people. But Taber's unique way of looking at the world (it's always sun-splashed and never melancholy which is opposite of what I am) and little absurdities of the world and her fond memories of her pets and her grief over the loss of her companion, Jill touch a deeper place in my heart.

      Being an old soul trapped in a young person, I'm never really interested in the contemporary music. I love the voice of Andy Williams with its extraordinary range, the sound of sumptuous and lush strings orchestra arranged by Glenn Osser, the voice of Buddy Clark and this evening, I shall dream by the fire with the voice of Russ Columbo singing one of my favourites: "Call Me Darling (Call Me Sweetheart, Call Me Dear)"

      So, thanks for the memories.

      Best wishes, ASD

      PS. I've tried a few attempts to leave my comments. But it was not working. So, apologies if you receive a duplication of the same comments.

      Delete