Tuesday, January 2, 2024

CHARGING MY BETTERIES

 



Doesn’t it seem longer than One Month since the cold came?   These raggedy-cold days---even those with such glowing sunshine that you’re called OUT into whatever daytime interests are motivating (or in my case, merely upstairs into that bright sunny sitting room with all the Christmas lights and two trees glowing and the TV tuned to “fireplace” just for the warm feeling of it---I swear I feel a little drift of warmth sometimes when I pass by.   There are great big Mole’s House chairs, with comfy pillows and soft blankets and BOOKS for an afternoon, as well as TWO new books of Cryptic Crosswords---those mystifying Brit ones with the anagrams and words-inside and sly jokes that I swear Benny Hill must have contributed.   I’ve spent three evenings with those fabulous mind-benders since they appeared in my stocking, and have completed just three and about a third of the fourth).  These days are gone in a blink, yet it seems ages since Thanksgiving, though there’s probably still a smitch of dessicated cranberry in the TUP and maybe four forlorn peas rattling in an old Melmac cup in one fridge or the other.

 

 I’m moving as slowly as the time, hardly working, letting things and chores pile up around me like liabilities of largesse.   We had fun and festivity and food and togetherness during Christmas---indeed from Thanksgiving on, with little spates of special cooking and decorations (all of which, contrary to tradition and sense, are still UP.   The tree still shines out the front windows, most presents are here and there on chairs and floor, divested of their shiny paper and pink ribbon. Rudolph, Clarice and a tee-ninecy Bumblesnowman inhabit a big wicker rocker in the living room, presiding over all the unsent/unclaimed presents languishing on the tree skirt.   I do miss the downstairs, where for decades great swoops and swags of ribbon-lights twinkled an eternal carnival onto our breakfasts, our evenings, our TV nights, and scattered around the room, across the pages of our Nooks, the printer, the TV screen and picture glass on the walls like strings of glowing beads in some magical hall at Versailles.    I've been a neon-fiend since childhood, and that was Heaven. 

We had a wonderful time with the Girls on Christmas eve, and now my batteries (typed that "betteries," and I think there MUST be a place in us all---a magical socket seldom used, for betteries to keep us primed for the slow times, the hard times, the INTERESTING times of our lives) are storing up and my mind refreshing, for the words are coming, though sparse.     I'm trying to think of something, anything, to write about, but present events are sparse, and I think I’ve related every story of my first eight decades, and “Reminisce” might well be the Word of The Year. 

Today we're having our 97-year-old neighbor and her daughter over to lunch,---our eighteenth Christmas gathering since we began the tradition, and though the colored lights across the street are still hazy through the fog, they SHINE, and we'll make more memories.  

4 comments:

  1. My dear R,

    Happy New Year to you! I hope that your hopes and dreams and wishes for the new year all come true. I'm delighted to hear that you had a good time with "the girls" during the holidays. Your word play makes me smile. How wonderful that 'reminisce" is your word of the year. That's what I love about your blog. I believe we are kindred spirits. I think that these stories and observations you write are bound up with everyone else's experience and the universal. One feels spirited back in time reading your words. I suppose that we all have some kind of life but I often find it humbling to realise how one's life, no matter how one assumes it as uneventful, is of interest to or resonate with others. When the world is in a state of conflict and suffering, I do think that we should play a part by contributing gentle, absorbing and vivid recollections and stories to create a cocoon or a place of refuge where like-minded friends from around the world can gather together. So, you are doing us a great service and thank you for that.

    I am glad that you are keeping up with all the traditions of Christmas. As for me, I usually take down all my Christmas decorations after the end of the first week of January. The lingering joy of the festive season leaves my head in the clouds (and I'd like to keep it there as long as possible!). I hope that you might also leave the twinkle lights on as long as you wish and the gifts including the new books of Cryptic Crosswords will offer a cheerful counterpoint to the bleak mid-winter (does the weather ever get bleak or snow-draped in where you are? Or does it stay mild all winter months?)

    Wishing you the very best New Year, with good friends, good health, happiness, peace and prosperity, my faraway friend.

    Best wishes, ASD

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO MANY THANKS to YOU, Sweet Friend! After all this absence and silence, just one comment on LAWN TEA brings happy tears, especially such a touching, charming, heart-stirring one. I'd just reached in for a moment, just before a dash out for an appointment, carry-cup of coffee in hand, jumper on arm, and then I had to go TAKE A MOMENT with a tissue and quiet prayer of thanks for the communication/ communion of such sweet magnitude and companionship. More in e-mail as the day goes and my own heart-felt GLAD---high as any Pollyanna flew, for this moment in my day and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ad happy new year, dear Rachel! Well, let's see if this comment even goes through. So many of my emails and comments bounce back to me anymore for technical reasons I don't understand. I'm glad to see a post from you, I'm happy to hear about your cozy room complete with on-screen fireplace--we have one ablaze here too, ha ha!--and I wish for good things for you in this new year. 'Always delighted to read anything at all from you. Love, Val ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Val!!! I think of you so often, in your welcoming cozy home and life so VAL in every touch. I imagine the soft prints of the curtains and the colors, and sometimes when I see a young woman in a blouse or coat of VAL GREEN, or a beautiful headful of dark curls---I think of how you just dropped out of the air with your sweet presence, and soften the days and enrich the lives of so many of us out here in this wordosphere. Time and circumstances have curtailed my participation in a lot of things for a few years, and we still stay close to home, going out gloved and masked and making sure the list has everything, so the once-a-week little shop-journeys will suffice.

      I even forgot how to post on LAWN TEA for a great while, besides feeling the arid touch of dust in the Word Well, but now, reminiscences and events and characters and stories are finally emerging again, and perhaps there will be something of interest to post more often. Some of those times ago, I'd just dial from blog to blog, soaking in all the other folks' activities and events and sorrows and delights, and just have no words to say hello. I wept with you over Stuffed, rejoiced and then wept more over Cubby Cat, and have found more hearts by accident than should be possible.

      How fortunate would be the day that you could sit down amongst the pinks and florals and twinkle-lights of our little house, and we'd talk the day away over tea, or solve the problems of this needy world while we chat. I've dreamt of having a seat at your patchwork-covered table, amongst all your ginghams and portraits and jonquils in a jar, that home so warm and cushioned and insulated with sheer charm and good will, and a mind the equal of a Jane Austen and the cozy comfort of a Gladys Taber.

      I think I'll come and drop this note to you in your mailbox, and you'll know my regard and interest and liking for your words has never faltered in this grasping for my own. It's so wonderful to see you and hear from you, and I wish you well and warm all these cold days to come, and sunshine on your tablecloth for your tea.

      Delete