Tuesday, June 27, 2023

POPULATING PAXTON




 I've long had a whole townful of folks circulating through my head---they're folks I've known, or would like to, or composites of two or three interesting or memorable characters of the past or present.   Perhaps forty of them have been introduced in here, and on my PAXTON PEOPLE blog, and I hope to someday combine the whole town into a story or two.   I get going describing folks---their talents, their houses, their attributes and afflictions, and their interactions with other folk, and I can do pretty well up to the point of GIVING THEM SOMETHING TO DO.   A Plot.   A Story that would be worth reading, interweaving lives and actions into some semblance of a book.   Someone will suddenly come to me, with a whole personality and whims and a life of their own, and it seems as if I've actually known them, and there's no trouble putting down whatever comes to mind, but then there they sit.   

And I have whole gaggles of Paxton folks circulating through my head---church folks and townfolk and folks scattered on their farms and little bits of land. They are from memories, wishes, and imagination, with no insinuation of which is which, since they feel like long-worn quilts from a fragrant old cedar-chest: scraps and pieces of whole cloth, aprons and dresses and shirts and a bolero or two.  There might be a small swatch from the minuscule Barbie-skirt on Harliss’ plate, or a small snip from the MOTHER pillow sent from Japan by Carey Luke Bishop, while he was overseas.  Perhaps a bit of lace from one of Mrs. Keen's dainty handkerchiefs she always had tucked into the sleeve of her silky blouse.   The imaginary black-as-night silk cloak swirled in Miss Mavis’ wake makes an appearance, as well as a whole section of pattern composed of bits from prom dresses, bridesmaid’s dresses, piano recital dresses for generations of Paxton girls, all from the trusty needle of Mrs. Barbee.   The tales behind the stitches in all those generations of Hope Chests in that small town could populate a library, and and I want so much to tell those stories.

 

  All the pieces are separate, thus far, of different colors and patterns, velvet and gingham and denim and suede---good broadcloth and flimsy voile, taffeta and bridal satin folded with khaki, ancient woolen---blue and gray,  sailcloth, stars and stripes, but just as I've never put needle to cloth with any useful or beautiful result, it's an uphill climb to get them all cut and sewn into a quilt pattern and a story and a town.

I'm workin' on it. 


2 comments:

  1. I love reading about the Paxton people! I sure DO HOPE you do write that book. I enjoyed the previous post too, about the stop in England and reading the sonnets underneath the umbrella of roses! Still, my favorites are about the small town people of Paxton, they are so similar to my own kin. I am SO GLAD you are writing again, it will DO YOU GOOD. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW, Gypsy!! You are so sweet and encouraging! You can use the Pink-Link above and go visit about 50 of them at home. I love having such a Kindred Spirit in CAROLINA!

    ReplyDelete