Wednesday, June 14, 2023

PASSING ON THE TORCH

 


I've just received a sweet Thank-You text full of pictures from our latest Graduate---her response to the "please send a list and link" of my gift-giving occasions was "The Goblet of Fire, Illustrated, and some Jane Austens," so she showed me their new homes in all her bookshelves.    I just LOVE that all our Grands are readers---and I love seeing their choices come "home," so to speak, when I'm delighted and surprised that they want several of my own favorites from my decades-ago childhood.

In most of my posts on here, my reminiscence will change fonts as I go back in time, remembering those hot Delta days of the past.  

Our house when I was growing up always smelt of BOOKS. We had lots of new BOMC ones which I read much too young, all the ones from our school library, and the loads I lugged home from the little smoky-green board-and-batten library which dispensed books and a cookie now and then. And the old crumbly ones, whose pages would shatter at the corner if you didn't turn with your gentlest touch.

My own personal trove was a gift from a between-generations cousin, who was exactly ten years younger than my Mother and that much older than I. Jenece was the Nellie Oleson of our time, an absolute terror, a hitter and pincher and tattle-tale whose parents owned one of the two little grocery stores in a neighboring town, and who had an enticing gallery of exquisitely-dressed dolls, ordered from "OFF" for her childhood Christmases and birthdays. She also had BOOKS.

“Bought” books of her own---whole series of Nancy Drew and Judy Bolton and the Maida series and the Hardy Boys and every Tarzan in print. I would look at the dolls (not allowed to touch), but I coveted those books with a grievous avarice, and when I was in third grade, we got the CALL: Come get something she was giving away.


She was putting away childish things, and my Mammaw's joy at the idea that I would be receiving all those gloriously-attired dolls was boundless. She had even discussed shelving with my carpenter Daddy, hoping to provide them with the perfect display area.

We arrived to find three huge boxes, all packed and taped, and so heavy that they required the dolly and the help of a couple of bystanders---they had BOOKS inside, and Mammaw was NOT happy. And I was absolutely mortified that my Dad was handling a big container with "KOTEX" emblazoned on the side, RIGHT THERE IN DAYLIGHT.

But the bubble of joy that displaced all the feeling in my stomach---that anticipation and pre-enjoyment is still a milestone in my life for sheer happiness. I spent the entire Summer immersed in places and lives outside my own realm; I was right there in the front seat of that roadster (in my own smart outfit and dashing hat) as Nancy sped toward the solution to the mystery.


I passed whole days up an enormous pecan tree, trekking the steaming jungles in pursuit of elephant burial grounds and wicked traders, joining in the Jane-rescue with an echoing yodel and a swift vine-swing.

Jenece gave the dolls to the younger sisters of her boyfriend, and I have no doubt that they were soon scattered around that tatty yard, all those satins and velvets, little feathered hats and tiny, intricate shoes, trampled and whisked away in the wind, but I can still close my eyes and be up that tree in the deep Summer heat, keeping watch for lascivious Jane-stalkers and angry tribesmen.


The scent of old paper, the Johnson's wax we used on the hardwood floors (my Saturday polishings were carried out to rocking music, as I put on Daddy's old socks and danced the floors shiny), the flowers which were always present, the faint scent of my Mother's Pall Mall's, the aura of Chanel and Joy and Estee Lauder wafting from her dressing area, the delicious odors from the kitchen, where we would all be chopping and cooking and baking, the Summer tang of vinegar simmering in the latest batch of pickles, plus the Coppertone richness of a hundred days in the sun---those are still the scent-memories of my life, and my own home replicates these in its own way.

We have no idea of the complexities of our own homes' personae---the scents are just one of the points which go into their makeup; a friend used to come to our house often, and several times she said, "This smells like rich folks' houses." It was just a little house on a little street in a VERY little Southern town...but she was WAY right about the rich part. Books and music and really good food and friends to visit. Wealth beyond wishes, and BOOKS are the kind of wealth I love to hand down.

5 comments:

  1. I can't love this post enough. I have my mother's collection of Junior Literary Guild books from the 1930's. I haven't parted with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Miss Merry! It's delightful to see your cheery presence visiting again---I've been way out of the loop for about three years. And it's wonderful to see that you share my own love affair with BOOKS. Happy Ides of June, and have a lovely Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kotex ..oh my the sheer drama of that word being the only daughter.
    Sadly..but not..I just want them happy..not one of my 4 grandsons is a reader.A step grandson is absolutely brilliant.An actuary..can you imagine? Pas moi.
    My mom..was Jergen's Almond hand cream....L'Air Du Temps..Revlon Red lipstick.
    I have my mom's Nelson collection of books..French.She was so fluent in both languages and a translator.All those years ago.An artist also.She would be 105.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 105---It's lovely to remember our gone-befores by the years they would be---my Mother would be 100 right now, and Daddy 102. We are, by happenstance, preparing this minute for a "Strawberry Breakfast" for our beloved nonagenarian neighbor, who turns 97 tomorrow. This is the 17th time we've had this little party, as we began on her 80th birthday. I had been hoping to do a LAWN TEA for a long time, and so we hoped do it for her 80th. Circumstances made that into just a little patio party for a few, and away we went, every year since. We've made up all the ingredients, with the quiche batter stored away, the broccoli steamed, the pastries ready to microwave---even the big ham steak already cut into portions for sizzling at the last second as we sit down. Off to wash the strawberries and flip on the flamingo tablecloth, for our fun party.

      I've been with your Mom on two of those cosmetics---when I was very young, my Mammaw came home from a neighbor's house telling that the teen daughter of the house came out of the bathtub wrapped in a towel, and sat right down in the sitting room with a bottle of Jergens, which she lavished on her just-shaved legs. The slight impropriety AND the beauty tip stayed with me, and as soon as I was old enough, I got my own Jergens---that almond scent is as familiar as vanilla, and I love both. And LOVE THAT RED has been my color for years---Chris always said he bought me a new tube every year, whether I needed it or not. A friend once posted on her blog: "Rule #1: Wear red shoes. Or red lipstick. Or red underwear. Red is Ordinary's Kryptonite" . . . Kelle Hampton

      I'm so glad to have you peek in!! It's so good to be back. (Thanks to LINDA of Life and Linda).

      Delete
  4. Linda is GREAT..Kelle Hampton? I follow her too..She's your friend:)?Your 97 yr old's party sound positively lovely!

    ReplyDelete