Saturday, January 23, 2016

NATIONAL PIE DAY






Amidst this run-for-your-life day of WEATHER and SNOW and Stranded-in-traffic and Snuggling-in-at-Home, I hope for everyone a safe, warm day and a quick recovery from all the ravages of the storm.

It’s also National Pie Day, of-which-we-could-always-use-more, folks, and though I’ve never had a “hand” for pie crust, and we’re mostly CAKE people, we’re having Chicken Pot Pie on this blustery, iron-cold evening.  
 


And I never think of pie anymore without thinking of the scene in “MICHAEL,” when they sit down in the truck-stop restaurant, a whole bunch at the table, and order “Two slices of every kind of pie you have.”   Haven’t you always wanted to do just that---just sit at a table of good friends or family, contemplating such a generous array of SWEET, and sampling each at your leisure, as you chat amongst yourselves in that long-time friendship way?  There would be just something about someone else setting such largesse before you, like Royal Command and Sovereign Decree, with just the quiet request and the cheerful delivery.   

That rowdy Michael tells Andie McDowell to “sing your song about pie,” and she does, in that slow, earnest way she does everything.    

But don’t stop THERE!   You can't miss that famous Michael Dance, which will have you sashaying around the kitchen like you’re wearing your Saturday-Night outfit, Shalimar and best kickers.  

I’ve got a lot to do for tomorrow’s Birthday Gathering, so go DANCE for me---like my Mammaw always said, “It’ll do you good and hep you, too.”

Stay warm and well, my dear friends,

10 comments:

  1. Just loved the old John Travolta movies when he was young.
    Pie of any kind makes my mouth water.
    We are warm and happy!Glad you are too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pies look very good. Perfect for a cold day too. I give anything to dance with John. LOL Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like pie much more than I like cake. But I do not make good pies and I am horrible at pie crust. That's why I always buy ready-made pie crust. Your pie looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that dance scene. And pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done with the pastry on your pie - it looks marvelous! Stay warm as I know there has been heaps of snow out your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother was a great pie maker. One of her most popular among family and friends was a "Cast Iron Skillet Chocolate Pie.' She cooked the filling in a cast iron skillet. Then she poured the filling into a baked pie crust and topped with a beautiful meringue. Oh, the memories....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Rachel, We love pie the best. Well at least I do. Maybe it is because my dad loved dessert with every meal and pie was his fave too. My mother mastered the pie crust art and she never had a recipe. Your pot pie looks delish. I made one last week and it was pretty tasty.

    We have been snowed in pretty much for a week. We finally got out today and almost did not make it up our drive. Sliding and spinning wheels that was very scary. We are in our driveway but couldn't get back in the garage. It is a solid sheet of ice up the incline. We did have some grand toboggan runs down our nearly one acre front yard down our mountain. Our nieces and nephews made it up our drive with four wheel drive and had a blast flying down our yard. We then had 14 for a birthday dinner for our nephew. Our guests were delivered a few at a time in my nephew's truck. Crazy but fun.

    I wondered if you had a lot of snow too. Stay warm and be safe.
    Love,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: I loved the movie Michael too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute movie...
    and your pie looks amazing....
    stay snuggled.....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's do the pie thing next time we're together. Probably couldn't do it here - too many people who feel funny about eating off the same plate as others!

    ReplyDelete