Thursday, September 26, 2013

KIM'S FAVORITE BOOKS










Wishes and prayers for my friend Kim today, for a quick recovery.   Meanwhile, I hope her gathering of book friends will soothe and speed her progress.
 

Sort of a “guest blog” from her today, from a comment she wrote several years ago, in response to my sharing some of my favorite books:

 




We share a love of a lot of books, but then we knew that already, huh?

I’m not sure that I could come up with such a good list – maybe authors would be easier for me:

PG Wodehouse (reading them, I had a big crush on Bertie, watching the DVDs I now have a big crush on Jeeves)

Agnes Sligh Turnbull – lovely, gentle stories – for when I need gentle (am I crazy or did YOU introduce me to Agnes?)

Angela Thirkell – lots of upperclass English nonsense

Gladys Taber – I want to go live at Stillmeadow

Alexander McCall Smith – especially the Sunday Philosophy Club series

Dame Agatha, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh – that pantheon of classic women mystery writers

Richard and Frances Lockridge – smart, funny NYC couple drink martinis and solve crimes

CS Lewis – just EVERYTHING – from Narnia to The Screwtape Letters to Surprised by Joy

Florence King – bust a gut laughter from this southern writer

Bill Bryson – travel writer - for being able to mock and love the countries and folks he’s writing about in equal measure – and, no matter what, you still want to visit.

Miss Read – quiet, everyday village stories – another author that I go to when I need some gentleness in my world

Rosamunde Pilcher – England, villages, everyday folks – I have a pattern, don’t I?

Louise Penney – beautiful, beautiful writing and imagery – WAY better than one would expect a mystery to be.

LM Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, Maude Hart Lovelace – the writers of the girls I wanted to be and to know when I was a girl.

Rita Mae Brown – the early stuff – Six of One can still make me cry

And my all time favorite – L Frank Baum – the Oz books are the ones that I’ve re-read the most in my life. They provide everything – travel, nostalgia, magic, fantasy and a happy ending!

I hope I haven’t taken up too much room, or hijacked your blog, Rachel. But you knew that BOOKS would get a response from this constant reader!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Rachel! I'm really and truly honored. To be quoted by someone that I love and admire as much as I do you is just amazing to me. And yes, my book friends are doing their best to distract and amuse me. I've been re-reading Miss Read's Thrush Green series. Big kisses wending their way west to you, my dear, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete