Wednesday, August 14, 2013

REVIENS

Photo courtesy of Janie, bless her Dear Heart and carte blanche

On this absolutely-couldn't-have-been-chosen-more-perfectly Summer day, with the sunny skies and 66 degrees, with all the windows open wide with sheers stirring in the breeze, and the music of all six sets of wind chimes accompanying Pete the Canary in his joyful solo, another gift:

A gift of memories---memories so clear and vivid that they're as if my much-younger friend Janie had walked in my shoes, through that clattery screen-door into Aunt Lou's store, to the scents of sawdust sweepings and coal oil and the dusty burlap feed sacks and the exotic whiff of the bunch of bananas hanging on the big iron ceiling hook, the sweet fragrances of candy case and the tiny glassed-in counters holding "Voilet" and "Lavender" and "Lily of the Valley" colognes in their dear tiny bottles.

A trip to a century-old mercantile store provided Janie's talented lens with more memories of my childhood than I could take in---it was as if huge baskets of fudge and taffy and marshmallows had spilled out, to be eaten in huge greedy gulps of sweetness.   I could hardly breathe, and so fled away to share this glorious gift---my mind is too fluttery with memories and words and stories to come, of all the long-ago kindled and eager to be set down whilst I can. 

Do go and have a look---I'll be unashamedly borrowing pictures for all the deluge of words and thoughts I feel, and for now---just go and revel in the short-ago past.   It's too soon for words.

Thank you, Janie.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how sweet of you, Rachel ... your gracious words and thoughts have brightened my day, and I can't wait to read about the memories my "stepping back in time" post has rekindled for you.

    It sounds like you are having a perfectly wonderful birthday today ... complete with Pete singing to you! May it just keep getting better and better ...

    With love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, It is so good to be home again. Your comment was so special and it made me smile. You know the perfect words to cheer one up and I needed that. It has been a hard two weeks. We finally rested up and life goes on. That is the way it must be.

    Happy belated birthday too. I missed it and I hope your day was as 'special' as you are.

    We too had beautiful cool days while we were in Michigan. So lovely but very sad. We tried to console Marilyn's husband and we were so happy we could be with him for so many days. Her memories will always give me joy. I truly loved her and will miss her so much.

    I am going to visit Janie's Blog. I know I will LOVE it if you do. Smile.
    I hope all is well with you and yours.
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Racheld..I am wondering if you have to have a Rooster to have laying hens. I didn't think you did. I thought you only needed him if you wanted chicks. I can't be wrong about this..can I? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Rachel, I saw your comment on Beverly's post and I have to tell you we have read or listened to almost all of the Jack Reacher books these past few months.

    Great minds! HA!
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete