Monday, October 9, 2023

THAT SOUND

 


A little drift away from the drifts of leaves, to waft back into the past---those long-ago times, far-ago memories.   Those of you who know me from BEFORE know that we catered and arranged decades'-worth of weddings when we lived in Mississippi, and I have spoken of that many times on here.   Just this morning, I was captivated by the reminiscence of a Mississippi uncle, as he "Gave the Bride Away," in one of those beautiful ceremonies.   His recollection and his words are simply music, evocative of such a swell of pride and hope and amazement that I asked if I could share.   I DID share in that moment he's describing, probably a hundred times during those years, and his words are spot on---they cause an intake of breath to match the quiver of the air, the silent awe, and the sheer beauty of that moment in Time.  

"Once all the attendants were in place, the rear doors of the sanctuary were closed in preparation for the arrival of the bride. Our clue to be ready to process proudly down the aisle was the organist and pianist playing "Holy, Holy, Holy." As the rear doors to the north center section of the sanctuary were opened and guests rose to their feet, Felicia and I began our walk. Trent got two pictures of us within our first few steps, though I barely remember him being there.
There's a sound generated by hundreds of people moving, almost in unison, from a seated to a standing position that's hard to describe. It includes the rustling of cloth rubbing against cloth, of air being sucked into open mouths and nostrils, of feet moving as people turn to face the bride, and of soft whispers of those unable to contain their joy. When the doors opened, it felt as if that sound were being pulled into corridor where we stood. We were bathed in that unique and wonderful sound, while it resonated with the music from the same sanctuary. No doubt, it was the sound of love." WAYNE CARTER, FACEBOOK, OCTOBER 9, 2023

And I simply had to answer," OH, Wayne, Your words and memories put me right there---those days of a hundred weddings---you know me---the lady barely there, with the gentle touch between your shoulder blades as the music swelled and it was time to step out with the bride? I stood in countless vestibules, side rooms, Sunday School rooms, Sanctuary alcoves and hallways, sending down a rustle of bridesmaids, the small feet and flowers of the tiniest attendants, and my touch onto the gabardine seemed to kindle that sacred sound as they rose in honor of the Bride. And you've captured The Sound perfectly. Something about that micro-moment of hesitance, that sway of pews, that rising of the air and stir of attention---that's a moment in the time of a marriage on which everything before and after is balanced pinpoint in Time. Young folks still inquire about the secrets of such a happy marriage as Chris and mine---I realize now that I spent countless moments, unsuspecting years, seeing other folks down the aisle, absorbing the magical mysteries of That Sound, waiting for him to come into my life. 
💗

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I’m pleased that my words called pleasing remembrances for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh~What a wonderful, perfect memory. The emotion the words generate are happy, awe-inspiring, lovely. There is nothing like the love of family and friends at a wedding....nothing compares. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete