Monday, December 11, 2017

SWEETS OF THE SEASON---REDUX

Today’s Fudge-Making Day, so it can cool and be cut for delivering around town to clients, so I’m “fudging” with the posts and using  this one from Christmas, eight years ago.  Wish I still had as much time and energy as I did then, when I was looking after a two-year-old three days a week.  She’s quite adept in the kitchen now, herself, and I’m sure she could show me a thing or two.

From LAWN TEA, DECEMBER, 2009:

This time of year, I wonder if the Revenooers might think we've got a still in the basement, turning out 'Shine. That's the way they used to catch a lot of bootleggers in the South, by the amount of sugar they were buying, going from store to store for a hundred pounds here, and fifty there. And we haul it home with the wagon draggin'---like we're driving Thunder Road.

Just plain Fudge, creamy and chocolatey---I love its colour and shine:



I'm the candy-making Elf---Kahlua Fudge, with a couple of shots of Espresso Syrup and Kahlua. Chocolate coffee beans atop.



Cappuccino Fudge, with a shot of Espresso syrup in the recipe:





Reese's Loaves---the bottom is the old-fashioned recipe for Peanut Butter Fudge, with extra-crunchy, left to sit in the pans til cool and firm, then a small pour of plain fudge on top.

The platter has to be empty by Christmas Morning---that's where the Banana Bread by my Mother's recipe goes, with a little dish of soft cream cheese alongside.



The loaves cut into giving-size portions---you can see they're in thirds, with little rounded corners on some---this is a VERY rich candy. I advise cutting it in little short-ways slices, rather than the big ones on the platter above.




Caro made Miss Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies, with oatmeal, chocolate chips, coconut and pecans:




Some crisp, salty snacks to counteract all that sugar---Caro's Chex Mix:





Rocky Road, with roasted peanuts and tiny marshmallows tossed with melted Ghirardelli:





Here's the tableful of goodies for clients and friends---not nearly all of what we made, but it looks pretty, all arrayed like that. We swap the pretty cloths for an old red vinyl picnic sheet, and use a lot of Windex on the two glass tables, for candy-making is messy work.



And one more look at the shining, lovely original, from which all the recipes spring:



Wishing y’all ALL the SWEETNESS of this Blessed Season!

6 comments:

  1. Golly, what a treat! I've never made homemade fudge but if I did, I don't think it would be anywhere near as professional-looking as yours. Just reading through the variety of flavors may just tip me over the edge to give it a try though. Thanks for the sweet inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my mouth is WATERING here! lol I always make fudge at Christmas time, too....and my kids all love Fantasy Fudge...I make that and peanut butter fudge.
    Yours looks delicious. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are your holidays coming along? I love this post....to me growing up Peanut butter fudge meant Christmas, my mom made the most amazing peanut butter fudge! It's not a super easy recipe---but it is worth it when you taste the completed fudge, LOL We did chocolate too, but peanut butter is my most favorite. Love the picture with all the goodies all neatly wrapped up and on plates, ready to travel, give,send, serve,share, EAT, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fudge. This looks yummy. I've never made it though. It's much easier to go to my favorite store and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMMMMM! Reminds me - I've got fudge in the freezer leftover from Christmas. I think I'll take a few pieces out.

    ReplyDelete