Thursday, March 23, 2017

DEAR BJ,




My friend Rachel overt Lawn Tea said she’d missed all a y’all so MUCH lately, and hopes so much that you’re doing better and better.  She’s told me so much about your wonderful family, with all those beautiful sweet Grand-children and all, and your lovely home that you keep so well.   She talks about your good cookin’ and how you sure do know your way around makin’ a good biscuit, and that you just do beat all when it comes to keepin’ house and arrangin’ things in such a nice way for all your family to enjoy.
BJ's Spring decor

And those gatherin’s!!  I do love to look at all those happy faces around all those tables in your dinin’ room!   Why, such good company would be sweetenin’ enough, even without that good ole iced tea to go around, and I marvel at your ease in the gettin’ ready.   Why, I been cookin’ nigh onto seventy years---bein’s I started out when I was about maybe six, and had to stand up on the lard can to mix that pan of biscuits, and I never saw such a hand at turnin’ out such good meals and dinners as y’all seem to just conjure up out of the air. 

bj breakfast


And those breakfasts!!!  My, Goodness ME, what a time you have makin those flapjacks all sorts a ways, just to try ‘em out.   I useta get so tired of pourin’ and flippin’ when I’d still be turnin’ em out when the schoolbus was near down the lane, and the boys would each grab a couple and fold ‘em like fried pies around a hunk a ham or a big ole sprinkle of sugar as they ran out the door.   Weren’t them some days, though?  I wouten take nothin’ for those early mornin’s when whoever had stovewood duty would be in there a-clangin’ and a-blowin’ as I caught up the water for the coffeepot, and we had the kitchen all to ourselves for a quiet little talk before the sun come up and the coffee boiled.   I think now they might call that “one-on-one time,” but back then, you just grabbed whatever minute you could get between school and work and the young-un’s studyin’ and chores---why, I bet I had more good talks with my brood as we shouted around a cow’s rump while we was each a-milkin, than anybody does sittin’ together having a stranger paint their toenails.  I’m just sayin’.


And, can’t you just SMELL that good boilin’ coffee?  I don’t think any a them new coffeeshops could ever equal that good eggshell coffee we useta make in that big ole blue enamel pot.   And bacon a-fryin’?  You and I have cooked our share of good breakfasts, I bet, and Rachel says you’re the only person she’s ever known who could write forty-nine articles on BISCUITS, and make them beautiful and mouth-waterin’, ever single one. 
Her pepper biscuits

She also showed me the hand you have for decoratin’, with all the flowers and pretty pitchers and jars, and all that smart checkedy cloth and plates to set ‘em off.  She and I love RED almost as much as you do, and we talk about your dab hand with red all the time.



ready for the Bunco Group

I just wanted to drop you a note and say how much I enjoy your writin’ and pictures and cookin’ and the way you LOVE and share your family times and all the love that’s bound y’all together for so long.   What a family, and what a pair you two are---strong and kind and just bustin’ with love for one another.  




I send you my good thoughts and prayers for strength and healing and good reports from your doctors, as well as good rest and peaceful sleep as you fight and win this battle so bravely together.  

We haven’t met yet, but I just love all a Y’all.

Your new friend and reader,


Marthy Tidwell 

ps  You said Borry anytime, and I couldn't reach you to ask, so I borried a few of your lovely pictures for my friends to see.  xoxo




17 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED every single word to this post. Make sure you put a link to bj's on here!! Let her know the post is up, too. She is going to be over the moon tickled! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet sentiments from you Rachel. Biscuits? I could live off homemade biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love this post just about as much as any I've ever read..it made me cry to know that you care enuf to do a complete post on my family and I. Thank you so much...I almost can't find the words to tell you how much this means to me. Thank you....
    and Nana Diana is the one that told me you had done this precious post. I have to put it on my facebook page and hoping some of my friends will come over to read such a sweet post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an awesome post...& describes you to a "T".. ❤❤❤

      Delete
  4. Wow! This brought many a memory back to this 75 yr. old gal. What those biscuits need are some of that home whipped butter & homemade gravy. ... maybe that fresh strawberry jam fresh out of the pot. Enjoyed every single moment of your write. BJ is a peach for sure. God has his healing hand holding on tightly. TY for a walk down memory land & thinking of BJ.
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this post so much. What a sweetheart you are! And such a way with words! So fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bj is a wonderful and sweet lady. I enjoy reading her blog. Your post about her is very nice. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much fun was this to read!!! You were spot on with how talented this precious lady is and that doesn't even begin to tally up how kind & sweet her spirit is!!! Thank you for reminding all of us how blessed we are to call this lady our friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such sweet words for our loving BJ and Mr Sweet.....everything you have said and more has drawn me into a wonderful blogging friendship with her! She is loved by so many!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet way to honor BJ and Mr. Sweet. She is a precious friend, and your words are right on target. BJ has a huge fan club! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this was a joy to read...I could almost hear that sweet country twang in the words and expressions. This was certainly a precious gift that you gave bj and her family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So enjoyed this about BJ and Mr. Sweet the writing is so fun and really described one of my favorite blog writers to the T!!! I am adding Rachel to my list of frequent viewed blogs!!! Bless your heart!! We all are in prayer for Mr. & Mrs. Sweet as they are as sweet as the sweet southern tea!!! May God heal him completely. Robin from NYC
    My blog is a mere list of places or blogs I love to read :) www.minnieinnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so loved your post. You certainly did describe BJ to perfection. I have all but given up being able to make biscuits as good as hers.

    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a sweet and cute post. I love BJ too and never even met her. I love getting emails from her and enjoy reading her blog. No matter how bad of a day she might have, she can always brighten it with her positive thoughts and attitude. Her things are so pretty and I adore her style.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone loves BJ and her beloved Mr. Sweets! What a great post! The world would be a better place if we had a few more BJ's and Martha Tidwells and Rachel's!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful blog post honoring our dear friend BJ and Mr Sweet! You described her so well and all the joy she shares. I'm so glad I saw BJ's post on facebook and came over to see this and say "Hi!" I will be reading your blog now too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely LOVE THIS POST!! What a great job you did---I'm so glad she saw it and sounds like she really really was blessed by it! I read B.J. too, and enjoy all her recipes and pictures just like you. I could just about smell the bacon frying up in a big ole black iron skillet and the coffee as it perk perk perks and fills the air with that delicious smell!

    ReplyDelete